9 Etiquette Tips for Traveling :
First there was etiquette, then there was netiquette (e-mail etiquette), and now there’s private jet etiquette. When flying by private jet, there are some etiquette suggestions you can follow to ensure you (and others) enjoy the experience of private aviation.
1. When you’re on your way to the airport, update your crew to ensure a speedy departure. Your Captain will then liaise with Air Traffic Control to ensure a swift take off.
2. Request anything that you want that will make the trip more enjoyable for you. Treat private aviation like a concierge service – you are paying a premium to avoid an airline experience, so don’t compromise your enjoyment. If you want it, ask for it.
3. When choosing a seat, sit on the right hand (starboard) side of the aircraft, facing forward. The Captain always sits on the left (port) in the flight deck, so you’ll have a great view.
4. Help yourself to anything on-board. It is your aircraft so you should feel at home. If it’s in a drawer, it’s there for you to enjoy!
5. Wait until the aircraft is in cruise before chatting to your pilots. They are there for your safety, so let them take-off before you ask about the catering. However, when the aircraft is in level flight, your pilots are your hosts – always feel free to wander up to the flight deck for a nice chat.
6. Don’t be embarrassed to tip the crew. While this is absolutely not expected in the industry, it is quite normal and your pilots will appreciate the gesture.
7. When booking your return flight, ask for the aircraft to remain on the ground between your flights. This will maximize your opportunity to leave early, if your plans happen to change, and ensures that another flight is not scheduled before your return trip which could result in knock on delays for you.
8. Challenge your provider to find the closest airport to your destination. There are about 5,000 airports in the US and only about 500 of them are used by commercial airlines. This means by using private aviation, you can enjoy discovering the benefits of avoiding the crowds.
9. Don’t pay too much! Use Wings Up to find the lowest charter prices within our global network of safe and accredited aircraft.